Read Family Caregivers of BC caregiver statistics. They include information taken from the “Portrait of Caregivers 2012 – Statistics Canada” and include these facts:
- 54% of caregivers are women;
- 56% of caregivers are 45 years old or more;
- 15% of caregivers are young caregivers between the ages of 15 to 24;
- 28% of caregivers are “sandwiched” between caregiving and childrearing;
- caregivers 65 years of age of older are most likely to spend the longest hours providing care;
- 89% of caregivers provide care for one year or longer (which is why it is often said that caregiving is a marathon, not a sprint, hence we need to pace ourselves so that we don’t burn out).