See if your grocer has a delivery program. If unable to go shopping, some communities have grocery shopping programs offered by non-profit societies. To learn what is available, see INFORMATION & REFERRAL (I&R) SERVICES listed on this website, and contact them. Also ask about Meals on Wheels, a non-profit service which delivers hot meals. Some businesses offer frozen meals that can be ordered and ensure there are nutritious meals in the house. Many offer special diets, e.g. diabetes-friendly meals, pureed meals, low fat/low salt. Neighbours are sometimes also willing to help with grocery shopping.
Good nutrition is very important for the health of family caregivers as well as those they care for. HealthLink BC, a free BC Ministry of Health resource has a registered dietitian (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm) available for questions. Just dial 8-1-1 toll-free. The multilingual service provides translation services on request in 130 languages. For Text Telephone (TTY) for people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech-impaired: call 7-1-1.
The Ministry of Health “Healthy Eating for Seniors Handbook” includes recipes, menu plans, and information on good nutrition. The handbook is available in English and French and has also been culturally adapted and translated into Chinese and Punjabi. You can download your own copy of the handbook:
- Healthy Eating for Seniors – Chinese (PDF, 8.3MB)
- Healthy Eating for Seniors – English (PDF, 6.6MB)
- Healthy Eating for Seniors – French (PDF, 3.5MB)
- Healthy Eating for Seniors – Punjabi (PDF, 4.1MB)
Meals on Wheels (MOW) are non-profit agency-run programs delivering hot and sometimes frozen low-cost meals. Expect a starting cost of $5.50-$6.00 per meal. In some communities, both Meals on Wheels and similar style programs offer more than one style of food – e.g. Chinese style, Japanese style, Kosher food, and Western style. The Fraser Health area offers:
- Burnaby – Burnaby MOW 604-299-5754 Chinese and Western Food
- Burnaby – Tonari Gumi 604-687-2172 Japanese Food
- Chilliwack – Chilliwack Community Services (CCS) MOW (604) 793-7242 or (604) 792-4267
- Delta – Delta MOW 604-946-9526
- Delta (North) – Surrey-North Delta MOW 778-590-1433
- Langley – Langley MOW Services 604-533-1679
- Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows – Maple Ridge Pitt Meadows Community Services, MOW 604-467-6911
- New Westminster – Seniors Services Society, MOW Diabetic and low salt diets can be accommodated 604-520-6621
- Surrey (South) – White Rock MOW 604-541-6325
- Surrey/North Delta – Surrey-North Delta MOW 604-588-6325
- Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody) – PoCoMo MOW 604-942-7506
- White Rock – White Rock MOW 604-541-6325
Better Meals: 604-299-1877. This private business meal delivery company offers frozen meals from a menu that includes regular, diabetic, low sodium, pureed and A La Carte options ($6.25/meal). Snacks, breakfast and lunch items are also available. A $25.00 minimum order yields a free delivery
Casalinga Food Services Inc. 604-435-1994 delivers frozen meals, prepared daily, to homes in the greater Vancouver area. This business offers breakfast, lunch and dinner meals that are regular, vegan or gluten free and individual or family sized. Deliveries are made once a week and are free with a minimum order of $40. Download the menu.