“Today there are over 1 million people providing care for family members or friends in British Columbia and almost 70% of these family caregivers are trying to juggle the demands of employment and caregiving.” (Leros & Joseph, 2007)
The impact of this growing social and economic issue on businesses includes:
- higher absenteeism rates, costing over $1 billion per year in Canada
- lower productivity (distraction, distress and fatigue)
- quitting work or declining promotions
The Family Caregivers of BC has developed this Toolkit for Employers: Resources for Supporting Family Caregivers to provide both employers and employees with information and resources to help minimize the impact of caregiving on both the employee and the workplace. With the right information, support and education, employees can be healthier and more productive. It’s good for everyone’s bottom line.
This Toolkit is divided into two sections:
Section 1: Information for Employers – includes the impact of caregiving on your employees and your workplace, the cost of caregiving on your organization, the top workplace needs of employed family caregivers and workplace strategies to create a caregiver friendly workplace.
Section 2: Resources for Your Employees Who are Family Caregivers – includes community and healthcare resources available in British Columbia to support family caregivers, self-care handouts, how to develop a care plan, navigating the healthcare system and legal and financial considerations for family caregivers.
The Toolkit for Employers: Resources for Supporting Family Caregivers is available in a 3-ring binder and also includes:
- copies of key resource documents in plastic sleeves (URL’s for most of these documents are also included)
- CD with digital copy of Toolkit for Employers: Resources for Supporting Family Caregivers
- CD with digital copy of the Resource Guide for Family Caregivers, 2nd ed., also published by the Family Caregivers of BC
- 3 – “Are You a Family Caregiver” awareness posters (glossy) to post throughout your workplace
- 20 – FCBC rack cards with collapsible brochure holder
For more information or if you are an business employer and would like to receive a copy of the Toolkit, please call 250-384-0408 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a fee for shipping and handling. Please note: we are currently revising the Toolkit.
A PDF copy of the Toolkit for Employers: Resources for Supporting Family Caregivers is also available. Click here to download the PDF copy of the Toolkit.
For a PDF copy of the “Are You a Family Caregiver” awareness poster to post throughout your workplace click here.
© FCN Family Caregivers’ Network Society 2013 (we are now Family Caregivers of BC)
Acknowledgements: This Toolkit for Employers was produced with the generous assistance of the following:
Greater Victoria Savings Credit Union Legacy Foundation
Thrifty Foods Smile Card Program