It’s a shift in the way health care providers interact with people who care for their family members and friends. Willing caregivers are included in care planning and work with health care providers to provide relevant information and make arrangements for things like picking up medications and assisting with future appointments.
A great partnership with family, caregivers can help execute patient care plans and prevent errors in health care. Family caregivers also need care and support. Read how Family Caregivers of BC’s Caregiver Rx Program is helping the partnership between family caregivers and healthcare providers thrive.
- Explore how healthcare professionals can help family caregivers feel visible.
- Provide clarity and confidence in referring family caregivers to resources they need.
- Examples of how engagement with family caregivers can lead to stronger outcomes for everyone.
FCBC has developed a short guide for Health Care Professionals – read full version here.
Simple Steps to Supporting a Family Caregiver
Health Care Providers can work with family caregivers in 3 simple ways:
- Identify a caregiver by asking, “are you caring for a family member or friend?”
- Refer the caregiver to resources like Family Caregivers of BC to receive emotional support, information and resources, education and more.
- Download our FCBC Caregiver Referral Form
- Request our FCBC Caregiver Prescription Rx pads for your office by contacting here or visiting here for more promotional materials
- Engage with FCBC by including us in case planning for care recipients and seeking our input on health system planning and service delivery